The Prince Rupert Airport is situated on a 686.78 hectare parcel of land which is located on the north west side of Digby Island. The lands within the airport property generally comprise undulating lands with elevations below 50 meters.
The parcel is somewhat divided by a higher ridge or terrace of exposed rock with a very undulating section of lower lying land to the east and more moderately sloping land to the west. Surrounding land use generally comprises unimproved uncleared lands which are held by the Provincial Government and Metlakatla Indian Band. The only development on the island consists of the airport lands, and the small communities of Dodge Cove and Crippen Cove. No vehicle access is available between the airport property and the two communities.
The air terminal building houses airline passenger services, pilot services and administrative offices.
The maintenance building is located to the south of the Airport Terminal Building and comprises one of the two main buildings of the airport complex. It was built in 1970 and is used as the airport vehicle service garage.
The Prince Rupert Airport has one paved runway, which is operational 24 hours per day year round.
- 1829 meters (6000 ft.) in length x 61 meters (150 ft.) wide
- Runway 13 is a precision runway equipped with ILS (Instrument Landing System) to Category 1 landing limits.
- Runway 31 is a non-precision runway.
- No noise abatement procedures are in effect at the Prince Rupert Airport.
- Design aircraft for the Prince Rupert Airport is the Boeing 737 (Code C) for all movement areas.
- Runway, taxiway and apron pavement overlay was completed Spring 2015.
Helicopter landings are made on the airport apron.